Declare candidacy for the 2023 Board Elections!
To run for the Breadroot Board of Directors in this year’s election, you must first declare your candidacy by filling out a Declaration of Candidacy form between 1.24.23 – 2.22.23. See below for our full Election Calendar and to learn more about the work of the Board.
2023 Election Calendar
1.24.23: Elections Calendar posted on the store Governance Board and on the Breadroot website.
2.22.23: Deadline for member-owners to declare their interest for the Board of Directors at the close of the store (8pm).
3.7.23: Slate of nominees is announced, and nominee campaigning begins.
4.6.23: Campaigning ends and the formal election begins. Ballots can be cast at the Co-op or online.
5.6.23: Voting ends at 10am, and votes will be counted at our Annual Member Meeting, beginning at 11am.
5.8.23: The results of the election are announced on our social media and website.
6.12.23: New Directors seated at first Board meeting of Board Year 2023 Election Calendar.
About the Board of Directors
The Board works on behalf of the Member-Ownership, to set the mission of the Co-op, as well as monitor the operations and management of the store.
Director candidates must be committed to the Ends Statement of Breadroot Natural Foods Co-op. Board Directors are volunteers for a term of two years and commit to working about 6 – 10 hours per month.
To thank them for their efforts and involvement, Breadroot Natural Foods Co-op Directors receive 25% off all of their purchases at the Co-op. Our Directors also gain a variety of useful skills, such as business acumen, management experience, high-level communication, financial literacy, strategic thinking, and teamwork.
- Be a Breadroot shareholder (member) in good standing.
- Prepare for, attend, and participate in bi-monthly Board meetings and the Annual Member Meeting in May.
- Serve on one or two committees or task forces.
- Attend and participate in a day-long annual retreat in the Fall and/or Spring.
- Participate in Board training, as well as workshops, conferences, and Breadroot events throughout the year.
- Regularly read and respond to email correspondence.
- Devote time to learning about the co-op movement and the board decision-making tool Policy Governance.
How to become a Candidate for the Board
The 2023 Declaration of Candidacy is open from 1.24.23 – 2.22.23. Member-owners that are interested in running for a seat on the Board of Directors must submit a Declaration of Candidacy. If you have questions, you can email the General Manager Sharissa Hermanson at email@example.com, or the Board President Twyla Stanifer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to get involved without being on the Board
- Attend the Annual Member Meeting
- Attend one or more Board meetings
- Meet with a current or former Board Director
- Apply to serve on a Board committee